David Brammeld PS RBA
David works in two main subject areas: urban and natural landscape.
He is interested in the character, texture, architecture and history of old buildings and documents changes to the post-industrial urban environment. He likes to explore and seek out areas of interest: these may be industrial sites or just interesting buildings with character. He is always looking for new subject matter so always has camera or sketchbook to record things. He then makes exploratory studies and drawings to develop ideas.
By contrast, David also enjoys the beauty of the natural landscape with his ‘treescapes’, exploring shape, texture and form as well as colour. Preferring the landscape in late autumn, winter or early spring, when trees are devoid of leaves and exposing their raw beauty and character, he aims to create a feeling of what it is like to be immersed in the countryside - a sense of solitude, quietness and of being with nature.
Always looking to push boundaries in his work and to keep his approach fresh, David works on several pieces at a time, and in a variety of different mediums (graphite, pastel, acrylic or oil) appropriate to the subject and feeling he wants to evoke.
David lives and works in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, where he has witnessed and documented many profound changes to the post-industrial landscape.
A prize-winning artist of many years experience, David has exhibited regularly at the Mall Galleries since 2002 and is an elected Member of the Royal Society of British Artists (RBA), the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (RBSA), and also the Pastel Society (PS).
He runs a series of art classes, workshops and demonstrations.
Royal Society of British Artists (RBA)
Pastel Society (PS)
Other Society Memberships:
Royal Birmingham Society of Artists (RBSA)
Exhibited at the Mall Galleries since 2002 - variously with the Pastel Society, RBA, NEAC, and ROI.
• RBA annual exhibition at the Mall Galleries, London
• Pastel Society annual exhibition at the Mall Galleries, London
• Granary Gallery, Weston Park - RBSA group ‘Architecture’ exhibition
• Russell Gallery, Putney, London - RBA Group show
• The Rye Gallery, Sussex - RBSA Group show
• TrentArt Gallery, Newcastle-under-Lyme - solo show
• Pastellistes de France 17th International exhibition at Feytiat, Nr. Limoges, France
• RBSA Prize at RBSA Gallery
• New Curators: Watercolour at RBSA Gallery
• RBSA Members and Associates annual show
• Guest artist at Pastellistes de France 16th International exhibition, Feytiat, Limoges, France
• ‘Discovering Landscape’ (RBSA Gallery, Birmingham)
• RBA Group show at Bircham Gallery, Holt
• 'NOW @ the Pastel Society' at the Mall Galleries, London
• 'StART' at RBSA Gallery, Birmingham
• Lowry and Berry exhibition at the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery - exhibition and demonstrations
• Stafford Open
• RBSA Prize (RBSA Gallery)
• RBSA Members and Associates annual exhibition
• RBSA Open All Media (RBSA Gallery)
• Newcastle Open
• RBA annual exhibition at Mall Galleries, London